Transitions no matter what kind are difficult. This post and podcast are for you if you find it difficult to let go of 2012. What do I mean by that?
- Your decorations from December aren’t quite put away. You just can’t seem to get that done.
- You traveled over the holidays and the suitcases are still packed. And you’re not looking forward to dealing with that either.
Carol Williams and I have taped our podcast but we’ve also written up our main tips, which you can find below, if that’s your preference.
- Know what needs to get done – Separate the emotion of feeling overwhelmed from the facts of what needs to get done.
- Back to our checklist!
- Easier to invite support.
- Easier to break up a “big project” into smaller tasks that fit into your busy calendar.
- More to cross off – how great does that feel!
- Deal with the emotion separately from the “to do’s” –
- Packing is a necessity but how else might you emotionally close out December? Perhaps look at photos and reminisce first, which takes care of the emotion, and which begins your transition back to reality. Then unpack and do the laundry. It’ll be easier to get started.
- Or call a friend and talk while you both unpack, do laundry or un-decorate.
- Make it fun to un-decorate – Family, friends, a party, a race with a timer or music!
- Assign chores and task to each other and pull everyone in!
- Or make it a quiet time, just for you, to reflect on your year or your holiday and your vacations. What would you like to repeat next year? And definitely not repeat? What was frustrating and what could be done differently next year?What did you miss out on? And what will 2013 be about for you, your family, your business and other activities? What’s important now?
- Purge as you put things away –
- Any decorations you didn’t use? Why not? How long have they sat, lonely in their boxes, waiting for you to use them?
- Who else could use them?
- Can you take a photo of them and then pass them along, so you have the memory, but not the object?
- Does each item actually bring you joy? Or is it “should” energy?
If you’d like to listen …
For some calming words and practical advice you can use right away, we invite you to listen to our short podcast with a bit more detail … 6 minutes is what it takes.
Just click on this link>> Holiday Hangover – Try Our Tips (click here)
Thanks for being here with us.
Welcome to 2013 !
Carol and Sue
Stay tuned by signing up at either of our blogs or use our email: ProductLifeTransitions@gmail.com
Links to Prior Podcasts
The Holiday Season:
Back to School Season: