Vision Boards: Another of my favorite office organization tools. “Sue West, author” was printed on a picture of a book cover which was on my last vision board. And it`s true now ` Organize for A Fresh Start: Embrace Your Next Chapter in Life is here. This blog is about how the vision board helped me get there.
Vision Board: It is ….
A useful process as you move on to a new chapter in life, to focus your thoughts – on what you want, what you appreciate, what you dream of.
An effort where the journey is more important than the end result (meaning the board itself.)
Not always concrete pictures. I used words and symbols on my board.
- `Simple abundance` as a way of living life;
- a picture of Barbara Winter for her inspiring book and belief in self-employment (a way of life I embrace);
- a picture of Jeri Dansky because her unique expertise comes through clearly in her blog is (my goal);
- `No work. All play,` which is an attempt to keep balance in my life (I work too much sometimes.);
- “all recipes” as a reminder I want to continue improving my cooking skills;
- an easy chair with bookshelves – I want to focus on reading more;
- and coaching shows up in many ways, from my teachers to a headset for phone clients.
And Looking Back …
Looking back, I now see that I did take steps to move things along.
I didn’t just hope and wait. As one teacher says: “Make it happen.”
By Seeing the Vision Board Each Day:
- I began believing this dream was possible. A BIG stretch for me back then.
- I took my first-ever writing course. Practice the skills.
- I paid more attention to writing groups online and signed up for some of their blogs/newsletters. Exposure, expertise, community.
- I began a blog, for my business, but also realized this would allow me to practice my writing.
- I got much clearer on my specialty in organizing/coaching – the work with people who are overwhelmed by big life changes and need to break through the fog to move onto their next chapter – their own fresh start.
- I paid more attention to my writing quality. And also the differences in writing for myself, for my work, on a blog versus other forms of writing. More practice.
Belief + Small Actions = A Dream is Realized.
Especially true for those of us who oddly believe that if we try something new, we`ll get it perfect the first time!
What`s your dream? What`s your next chapter going to be about? What actions, however small, could you take to move ahead?
It`s the small steps, sometimes those we unknowingly take, that can make a big difference. I sure found that to be true. You?